Sunday, May 24, 2009

Breaking my heart

I have always hated to see the little babies sick with runny noses and sad cries. Well it just so happens that Marcus has caught something that has been going around in the area. He doesnt have a runny nose or a fever but he has a super stuffy nose and wakes when he lays on his back from what I can guess is from the draining of his sinus. This has been a bit of a struggle because he will only sleep laying on my chest. While it doesnt bother me and is super comforting to have him close, I wonder what will happen tonight when it is bedtime. I called the pediatrician just to make sure she is aware and scheduled an appointment for Tuesday. She did give me some helpful suggestions. Such as;

For his stuffy nose - use saline to help break it up and then use the squeeze and suck round thingy (not sure the technical name) and also run the vaporizer. Good call registering for that mom - I knew it would come in handy.

For his sleeping situation, she suggested to prop his head up with adding a small thin pillow underneath his pack and play pad. I did that and he has been sleeping now for 20 minutes - PRAY it works. If not I am going to let him sleep in his car seat. Does that make me a bad mom?

Please Pray that my little guy gets better. Its breaking my heart when he cries and there is nothing I can do. Talk about feeling helpless - this is by far the worst.

2 comments:

Kristen Moss said...

PSHAW... sometimes sleeping in the car seat is the only way to keep sanity!!! that does not make you a bad mom, just a sane one.


Swings help to when they are congested.

Nathan, Kassie and Emilie said...

Poor guy! Poor you! Emilie's eardrum burst when she was 6 weeks old (that seriously never happens!) and the only way she would sleep was upright so after a few nights of NO sleep I put her carseat in the pack and play and had her sleep there. She slept 10 hours straight! Any other time she hated the carseat with a passion, but amazingly it worked then! Tell your hormones to calm down and quit making you feel bad for taking good care of Marcus. Johnson's vapor bath helps with congestion, and for some coating Emilie's feet with baby vicks vapor rub and covering them with socks helps too. Weird, but it really helps with coughs. My best advice for you is to have someone you trust watch him for an hour or two and take a nap. He really will be fine and you will be able to handle things much better at night. Don't for a minute feel guilty for taking care of yourself so you can take better care of your baby. It's hard having a sick baby, but he will get better, and you won't always be this tired, I promise :)